This is the largest southern magnolia on Peabody campus and one of the largest in the arboretum. It is noteworthy for its 123 cm (48 in.) diameter and height of 23 m (74 ft.).
The cluster of four large southern magnolias that includes this tree has been a recognizable feature of Magnolia Lawn for over 100 years. An analysis of historical aerial photographs
indicates that these trees probably date back to the 1870's when this area was being developed as Roger Williams University, a historically black college established to educate freedmen following the Civil War.